WHOSE LINE IS IT ANYWAY?
LEADERSHIP SKILLS FOR LINE-MANAGERS IN SECONDARY SCHOOLS
6th October 2005 – Wigan PDC, Hindley
£189 + vat
The model of management adopted by the DfES requires senior managers to ‘line manage’ departments and other functional teams and individuals in the school. Some are reluctant to do this because they feel they lack the knowledge and skills and are concerned about the possibility of alienating already hard-pressed colleagues. However, the new inspection framework (from Autumn 2005) focuses on the extent to which the school knows itself and on its capacity to improve through its own efforts. Effective line-management has a key role in achieving both of these capabilities. This event aims to build confidence through providing the perspectives, knowledge and some of the skills required to line-manage effectively.
Who will benefit?
Members of SLT with line-management responsibility
Headteachers or Deputy Headteachers wishing to increase the effectiveness of members of the senior team with a line-management
What will the event cover?
· Clarify the issues in relation to the work of the SLT
· Enhance the effectiveness of those in a line manager role
· Provide a portfolio of useful ideas
What will be the outcomes of the event?
On completion you should be able to:
· Understand the ‘task environment’ in England and Wales
· Understand how the 'strategic intents' of the development plan can better link with your job description and line management
· Deal with tension between ‘hard’ and ‘soft’ management styles
· Deal with conflict, politics and capability issues
For more information or to book your place contact:
Wigan PDC – 01942 767 102